Call us on today on 0161 666 9999 (24 hour)


If you’re not the owner of your stereotypical local boozer, high street café bar or corner shop, don’t be put off applying for a premises licence to sell alcohol on your property. You may even just hold occasional temporary events and be fed up of going through the motions for a temporary licence every time, in which case permanent legal clearance might be an easier option for you. A premises licence authorises the use of any premises for licensable activities applied for – which includes the supply of alcohol - under the Licensing Act 2003.

The below are just a few examples of the kind of places that you would probably think of as unlikely (to say the least!) options for a pint after work on a Friday…

Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital are now fully licenced to sell alcohol in a private wing (within stumbling distance of Accident & Emergency) from 10am-10pm, every day of the week.

St James the Great church in Thorley, Hertfordshire, 3 months after receiving a noise-abatement notice, applied for and was granted a late licence to sell alcohol.  An affected local neighbour with a strong sense of irony commented to The Guardian that living there ‘is hell’.

Getting another drink in before your taxi arrives may now be a thing of the past. A black cab – ‘the Tipple Taxi’ to be exact – is now a fully-fledged cocktail bar on wheels, available for private event hire.

‘I’m just popping to the offie…’ Residents of the suburb Bourneville, a village near Birmingham which has been teetotal since 1900 (and yes - Bourneville as in Cadbury’s Bourneville village) may not know what to think now that a newsagent with a small off-licence has bucked the trend and been granted a licence to sell alcohol. We can only speculate that sales of milk and newspapers have rocketed.

If they can do it, so can you – get in touch with us today on 0161 666 9999.


Credit: Pete Cashmore, The Guardian